NEW YORK (OCN) — Ever feel like you are working in a zoo? Do you have to get up at the crack of dawn to go to a boring job where your coworkers and clients act like animals?
Well if you want a change of pace, why not try working at the Bronx Zoo. The Bronx Zoo has employment opportunities that may be right for you.
If you would like to visit the Bronx Zoo for free, here are some tips to keep in mind.
1. On Wednesdays, you can get in virtually free by making a small donation which is about US$5.00, otherwise, you will be paying the full admission fee. Please note that many visitors show up on this day and you could expect delays. (See Reviews)
2. Look for promotional codes (promo code). Quite a few codes and coupons can be found on sites and blogs and offline so keep you eyes peeled.
3. Purchase the New York Pass. If you buy the New York Pass to use at other attractions in the State of New York, it will get you in there for free as well. The pass does require a fee but the benefit is to be able to see other attractions as well with line skip privileges.
4. Acquire a WCS membership. The WCS membership provides free admission to the Bronx Zoo, the Aquarium for Wildlife Conservation (on Coney Island in Brooklyn), the Central Park Zoo Conservation Center (in Manhattan), and the Prospect Park Wildlife Conservation Center (in Brooklyn). It also entitles you to free parking at the Bronx Zoo and the Aquarium, free tickets for Zoo rides, and discounts on classes and events sponsored by the WCS. It will cost you at least US$90.00 but is worth it if you are a frequent visitor to New York.
5. Meet the age requirements. If you are a certain age, you can get fee entry into the Bronx Zoo. However those who are under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a chaperone per visitors rules. The negative side to this is your chaperone will be paying the admission fee usless they have a way of getting in the Bronx Zoo for free.
6. Take public transporation when possible. The Bronx Zoo charges for parking and currently only the WCS membership waives the parking fee. Promotion codes from the Bronx Zoo’s website can not be used towards parking. Most new visitors are unaware of this and surprised when they get there. Also, if you can only visit on Wednesday due to your schedule, you will have to deal with the traffic and others trying to get parking.
7. Look for contests. A few New York business provide contests on their website or location(s) where a winner can receive free admission for up to four people so keep your eyes and open. One restaurant that does this often is Applebee’s. If you ever see The Open Cubicle’s orange news van outside, drop in and say hi.
8. Buy or purchase special items. If you bought for example a $50.00 Applebee’s gift card before January 2008, they would have given you tickets for four to the Bronx Zoo. Later you could have used (at the two nearby restaurants) the gift card or give it away to friends, family or charity. Here is the new promo from www.applebeesny.com
9. Get a job there. The Bronx Zoo has Seasonal Employment (along with Full Time) opportunities which will pay you for being there. You can also seek job opportunities in the area that would give you the opportunity for free access.
10. Have a credit, debit card or credit union account. Certain financial institution (ex. Bank of America) and credit unions provide their card holders free admission to the Bronx Zoo so keep a close eye on your statements and their web site each month. If you have eStatements, you should select to receive promotions via mail and/or email from your institution so you do not miss out.
11. Talk to friends or join an online community. Your friends might be aware of hidden promotions that you can share as well.
We hope these tips has been helpful and hope that you will enjoy your experience.