Need help finding kerosene in New York? Below are few information you will want to know in your search.
Kerosene shall be identified as grade 1-K or 2-K. This is similar to the identification of disel motor fuel which is identified as grade 1-D or 2-D Diesel fuel.
The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) surveys dealers who sells kerosene on a weekly basis so consumers can have an idea what the cost/prices of kerosene will be when they visit the vendor. Since this is done on a weekly basis, the prices should be no more than seven (7) days old. If consumers start to see the prices of kerosene slowly climbing, they can start to acquire kerosene for their kerosene heaters to warm their homes during winter seasons or for their kerosene lamps to help illuminate sections in their dwelling in a power failure.
When using any grade of kerosene, be sure that you are away from open flames while transferring from the original canister to your equipment and be sure that you clean up any spills which can lead a small fire. It is also wise to have safety devices (smoke and carbon monoxide detectors) as required to alert you while sleeping.
By now, you should know that kerosene being sold are clear and some are not due to an added dye which can cause odor, smoke and wick discoloration when used.
In the State of New York, kerosene can be found at local camping stores, Home Depot and Lowe’s locations. 1-K (clear) and 2-K (with an added red dye) kerosene can be found for sale, however, 1-K is unfortunately not that abundant and is often more expensive due to small quantities it is sold in and made available. 2-K kerosene can be found easily (such as local gas stations) as it has the added dye which most gas stations have switched to. Unfortunately, kerosene with added dyes does not burn as clean and can cause undesired effects (odor, smoke, wick discoloration) so consumers often avoid it for indoor applications.
Kerosene is very flammable and should never be used to treat head lice as what has been done in the past by many consumers. Doing so, you risk inhaling the vapors (which are bad for your health and the health of those around you) plus the burns from the vapor that may come in contact with an open flame.
Join us in our New York Forum if you have any comments or questions.