Looking for the cheapest bus to Philadelphia from NYC? You may not know this but the BoltBus (a 50/50 venture by Greyhound and Peter Pan) is the one of cheapest way to travel from the City of New York (NYC) to Philadelphia (Philly) in Pennsylvania.
You will be surprised at how inexpensive it is. If you are a frequent traveler or commuter who is sixteen (16) and older, you can buy all your tickets at once for better pricing and easier checkout. If you are fifteen (15) and younger, you need to travel with a paying adult. Once your online purchase is complete, you will be given a confirmation number with a boarding group.
Here is the the BoltBus link. You can put in your dates and it’ll give you the fares which are as low as US$1.00 (one dollar). If you miss the US$1.00 ride, US$8.00, US$10.00 and US$13.00 trips are also available.
Since the buses are very new, some riders have said that they didn’t like the smell on the bus and said “it has the most intense new car smell I’ve ever sniffed” while others mention “that the air conditioning was cranked up” so please keep these in mind. Our advice, dress in layers so you can “put on” or “take off” to keep comfortable on the journey. As for the odor, some mint candy may help. Do you or anyone tagging along the journey has a pet allergy? If so, you will want to have your allergy medication on hand since they allow service animals on their buses.
Join us in our New York Forum if you have any comments or questions.
The following rules apply to all BoltBus travel. These rules may be changed at any time at our sole discretion without prior notice.
- A valid photo ID is required to board the bus.
- We’ll send you an email confirmation (or a text message if you choose)
- We recommend you bring a copy of the email confirmation to board the bus.
- We recommend you provide us with a contact number (preferably cell) so we can contact you in the event of a service disruption
- Smoking is prohibited aboard the bus in accordance with Federal law.
- Dogs, cats, birds, or other animals will not be transported. A service animal, trained for the purpose of accompanying a special needs traveler, will be permitted to travel with the passenger at no additional charge.
- Except as responsibility may be imposed by law, BoltBus will not be liable for delays caused by accidents, breakdowns, road conditions, weather and other conditions beyond its control, and does not guarantee to arrive at or depart from any point as a specific time.
- BoltBus reserves full control and discretion as to the seating of passengers and the right to change such seating at any time during the trip, provided; however, seating arrangements will be made without regard to race, color, creed, or national origin.
- BoltBus reserves the right, when operating conditions require, to transfer passengers from one vehicle to another en route.
- BoltBusreserves the right to refuse to transport a person a) under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs, b) who is incapable of taking care of him/herself (this does not apply to persons who are accompanied by an attendant or nurse), c) whose conduct is such or likely to be such as to make him or her objectionable to other passengers or prospectivepassengers, d) who refuse to permit a search of his or her person or property for weapons or who fails to provide positive identification upon request, or e) or who refuses to comply with any lawful rule or regulation. Such persons may be removed from the bus at such place along the route as the driver may select. BoltBus shall not issue any compensation for passengers removed en route.
- Online purchases are available only at www.boltbus.com.
- A confirmed online purchase is a reservation and guarantees you a seat on the date and schedule you’ve chosen.
- We recommend you bring the email confirmation and a valid picture ID to show the driver.
- All reservations are good only on for the date and schedule chosen and are nonrefundable.
- Reservations can not be changed after purchase.
- Five minutes prior to departure we reserve the right to release your reservation if you have not boarded and claimed your seat. We will then make all seats available to walk up customers.
- Unused or partially used reservations have no refund value.
- BoltBus reserves the right to reissue reservations for service failures or weather conditions which, at its sole discretion, require such action.
- BoltBus reserves the right to deny boarding to anyone who acquired a reservation in violation of its rules and regulations.
- Reservations are non-transferable and, if presented for transportation by any person other than the one for whom originally purchased, will be void and may be confiscated.
- Reservations are offered based on a variety of fares. A limited amount of seats may be available for any particular fare, and BoltBus may limit such fares for any reason and at any time. A reservation fare is confirmed only at sale—if the price has changed before sale the customer must reselect the fare available at that time. Any increase or decrease in fares following the sale will not be adjusted to the customer.
- Fares and charges are shown in dollars and cents, and are payable in lawful United States money.
- All fares are subject to applicable local, state, and/or Federal sales taxes, unless such Fares are specifically exempted from such Tax.
- Unless otherwise specifically provided, the Minimum Fare for a Passenger will be one dollar ($1.00) plus a transaction or booking fee.
- BoltBus offers no special fares for infants, children, seniors, clergy, students, military personnel, or employees. All fares are kept as low as possible and as a result no discounting applies.
- Unaccompanied passengers must be 16 years of age of older
- In case of disagreement between the passenger and the driver as to either the applicable fare or the amount of fare paid, the passenger shall pay the amount demanded by the driver, but shall be informed that in response to a written request Bolt may refund any overcharge.
- A transaction or booking fee may be assessed at sale. This fee is nonrefundable.
- BoltBus does not provide checked baggage service and assumes no liability of any kind for baggage.
- You are responsible for placing your bag into the baggage bin and retrieving it at your destination.
- If you need assistance ask and the driver will help you.
- Passengers are restricted to one (1) bag to be placed under the bus and two (2) carry on bags, such as a purse or backpack. A carry on bags should be small enough to fit into the overhead bins.
- We do not allow the transport of weapons of any kind or any material that would be classified by the DOT as a hazardous material. (Acids, ammunition, animals, combustible liquids, compressed gases, corpses, cremated remains, explosives, firearms of all types, fireworks, flammable liquids, furniture, hazardous materials (poisons, radioactive materials, etc.),
- Each customer must retrieve his or her bags next to the bus at your final destination.
- No pets may be transported as baggage.
BoltBus may disclose the passenger’s personal information, including ticket and payment information, as required by law, upon order of the court, by request of a governmental agency, by request of a law enforcement authority, or in the good faith belief that disclosure is necessary or advisable.
Passengers with Disabilities
Contact us via e-mail for specific policies for information regarding passengers with disabilities. Bolt buses are wheelchair lift-equipped and customers do not need to provide advance notification to make a reservation; however, Bolt does not guarantee a wheelchair lift-equipped bus and/or seating availability to standby passengers.
By enrolling in the rewards program, you agree to honor and abide by the following rules:
- Members will be awarded one point for each trip booked online. An eligible round trip purchase earns two (2) points. Upon a set number of points as announced on the web site and subject to change, Customer will be awarded one or more rewards in their member account for use on any Bolt schedule.
- Rewards earned or awarded have no cash value and are cannot be sold, purchased, brokered, or bartered. All transactions are subject to review and adjustment. BoltBus reserves the right to cancel a membership, reverse any awards, or void any tickets if a Member misuses or violates these rules.
- All reward trips are nontransferable and may be taken only on BoltBus.
- Membership is for individual travelers only. Children under the age of 18, corporations, and other entities are not eligible.
- BoltBusreserves the right to cancel the membership of any Member who has not earned any Points for at least eighteen consecutive months.
- BoltBus reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to credit points to the accounts of members it deems worthy or in need of a little point boost. This could be because of some type of service failure or just because we feel like it.
- All fees or taxes of any kind are the responsibility of the Member and must be paid for at the time of purchase.
- BoltBus reserves the right to amend, suspend, or terminate this Program at any time and may change the Rules at any time with or without notice to you.
- Void where prohibited by law.
Latest posts by Steve Pringle (see all)
- Plaza Abbreviations in New York - Tuesday, December 7, 2010
- Posters in New York City - Monday, December 6, 2010
- Ball Drop Views in New York City - Sunday, December 5, 2010